Friday, November 14, 2014

Afternoon Adventure to NYC

This post is a little different from my normal reviews, but a few weekends ago I saw that two of my favorite you-tubers, Essie Button and Amelia Liana were having a meet up in New York City.  I live fairly close to the city, and I had the day off, so I figured I could make a little day trip out of it, why not?  Thursday rolled around and I packed up my new big girl camera for it's first outing, picked up a Pumpkin Spice Latte and hit the road.  I found parking at the train station fairly easily, hopped on the train, got a bench to myself (score!), and headed into the city.  


I got into Grand Central Terminal around 11:30, unfortunately all day there was a light drizzle, so I wasn't able to take any pictures outside.  I had scoped out some lunch options before hand, there was a Ramen shop that sounded amazing, but I opted for dessert for lunch and went to renowned chef, Thomas Keller's, Bouchon Bakery.  As it turns out, I have a horrible sense of direction, and would be totally hopeless without the guidance of my iPhone.  I got onto the street and immediately started walking a few blocks in the opposite direction of the Bakery.  Luckily I finally made it there and I was met with the impossible choice of what to order out of all of his heavenly looking creations.  

The bakery was small with some bar seats in the windows, large chalkboards behind the counter with the menu options written on them, and brightly lit glass cases full of all the confections.  The staff was very helpful and gave me some recommendations of what to get.  I settled on an autumn salad (my attempt to balance the unhealthiness), a cream puff, and a small pistachio macaron.  The window seats were all full, but luckily by the time I had gotten my food one had opened up and I was able to snag it.  My salad was good, it came with a creamy dressing and had butternut squash, some grains, salad greens and brussel sprouts.  I only ate about a third of the salad, because let's be honest, I didn't go there to eat salad.  


After I had decided I was done with my salad, I tried my little pistachio macaron, which was pretty medium green with green filling.  I always thought I didn't like macarons until I tried some good ones at the beginning of the year, and this one was amazing!  The cookie was crisp on the outside, and crackled when you bit into it, and inside the cookie was perfectly soft.  There was the perfect amount of filling so that you could really appreciate it, and it was airy and silky smooth.  The pistachio flavor was perfectly balanced.  It didn't taste artificial at all, and it was prominent but not overwhelming.  It was such a blissful little bite.  




After the macaron it was time to tackle the cream puff.  It was packaged up in its own little box, and the softball sized cream puff was topped with powdered sugar and placed atop a golden round of cardboard.  The pastry was crisp and flakey.  The mildly vanilla flavored cream was a light airy custard that was not overly sweet.  Once I cut into the pastry I discovered a thick layer of caramel underneath the pasty.  It provided a nice chewy, melt in your mouth texture to the mix.  The pastry and cream were not particularly sweet so the caramel added a good dose of sweetness to the flavor profile of the pastry.  The whole thing was absolutely luscious!




I walked out onto the street, full of pastry and a bit of salad, and heading towards the Tarte Cosmetic offices where the Meet up was being held.  Once I got to the building after a few more wrong turns I was greeted by a Tarte employee who gave me a card to fill out to enter a giveaway and directed me to a line to get in.  Unfortunately the line to get in was outside in the drizzle.  It was pretty long and everyone waiting in line was dressed to impress and had their make up beautifully done.  While I was waiting in line I loved checking out everyones stylish outfits and makeup, there were bold lips and winged liner galore!  At two o'clock they started to slowly let people into the building.  After waiting a while a small group including myself was allowed up the elevators where there was another line, this time thankfully inside.  While we waited another Tarte employee came by and handed out coupons and candy which was really nice of them, and I chatted with a few other girls in line.  Once I was through this line we were allowed into the main area where we lined up again (it was a lot of line waiting).  




There was a small entrance room that was decorated with these really cool paper flowers, and a little table set up with more candy to snack on and fresh purple and green flower arangements.  There was a television screen that had a bunch of thumbnails on it from Essie Button's and Amelia Liana's videos.  The main room was a big room full of Tarte's makeup on display.  In the front of the room there was a set with chairs, a back drop, a couple of big lights set up and that is where Estée and Amelia were standing.  When It got to be my turn I went up and handed my camera to the Tarte employee who was taking everyones picture for them, and chatted with them briefly and then got my picture taken.  They were every bit as gorgeous in person as they are in their videos.  Their makeup was perfection!  They were also really sweet and personable to chat with.  



As I headed out I was given a Tarte neck pillow as a gift.  The event was a little bit different than I was expecting.  I had never been to one of these before, but I was expecting to be able to also play around with the Tarte products a bit more as well as meet Estée and Amelia.  All in all it was pretty cool to meet them and get a peek at the Tarte offices.  After the meet up I had a little bit of time to kill before my train so I headed over to Sephora to scope out some products that I wanted to order during the VIB sale.  I swatched a couple of face masks on my hand, checked out the Bobbi Brown correctors, the Hourglass palettes, and the Nars Audacious lipsticks.  






After that I navigated (poorly again) my way back to Grand Central and hopped on my train home.  I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to try out my new neck pillow, so I did!  When I got home my dog Cedar gave it a go as well!   Also a little while back my friend Val shared this buzzfeed list with me of money saving tips for make up addicts.  I thought I would share it with all of you as well!  I hope you guys had a great week and enjoyed this little bit of a different post!



Till Next Time,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment