Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate



This week on Eat Beauty Love we have a cult favorite skincare product that was a new addition to my nighttime routine over the summer, the Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate.  It is a facial oil available in three sizes: a 1oz bottle for $46, a 1.7 oz bottle for $70, and a 3.4 oz bottle for $120.  I opted for the mid sized bottle and I actually found it at a cosmetics outlet for $56, I had read a lot of good things about this product, so I pounced on the good deal.  



Like the name of the product, it claims to restore and repair skin overnight so you wake up with smooth, healthy looking skin.  It is formulated with 99.8% naturally derived ingredients, and is formulated without any parabens or mineral oil.  An active ingredient in the formula is evening primrose oil (is that not the loveliest ingredient name ever?) which is supposed to help restore the skins barrier function and increase the skins radiance.  Lavender essential oil is another active ingredient that is supposed to also boost the skins radiance, as well as soothe irritated skin and reduce blotchiness.  Lastly Squalane is the final active ingredient which is oil steam-distilled from olives that has a similar molecular structure to the natural skin lipids (fats) making it easily absorbed and highly moisturizing.  


This oil is nice and light and does sink into my skin well without making my face feel greasy.  It does make my face look a bit shiny some days when my skin is less parched, but I apply it at night when I am just hanging out at home so I don't really care about that.  I have combination skin so I try to focus on hydrating my skin during my nighttime routine and try to use lighter products during the day to keep from getting shiny throughout the day.  Using an oil on your face is certainly counter intuitive especially for combination and oily skin types; however having used this product for the last few months I have to say that it is friendly product to all skin types and it did not break me out.  This product definitely lives up to the moisturizing claim, it packs quite the moisturizing punch, and I am happy to have it as part of my routine during the fall and winter to keep dry patches at bay.  The other noticeable effect that I find from using this product is that when I wake up in the morning my skin has a lot more glow to it.  Since I have begun using this product at night I have become happier with the appearance of my skin without makeup.


Aside from the skin benefits of this product, I really love the ritual of using it.  Kiehl's started out as an apothecary in New York City in 1851 and you really feel the companies apothecary roots in their packaging.  The product comes in a heavy glass bottle that is the most beautiful midnight blue color, I love that you can tell that it is a nighttime product from just looking at the color of the bottle.  It has a dropper top which appeals to the scientist in me, but also keeps the product inside nice and clean, and allows you to dispense the 2-3 drops needed for your face and neck.  Which brings me to another plus of this product, you only need a teeny tiny amount, I have been using this product for over 2 months now and I have hardly made a dent in the bottle.  The product is expensive, but I predict my mid-size bottle will last me for well over a year.  After warming the oil between your palms you then press the product into your skin.  The product has a pretty strong lavender scent to it and doubles as an aromatherapy product, as the scent of lavender is said promote calmness and restful sleep, which is so appropriate for this nighttime product.   

This product is such a great addition for anyones nighttime routine.  Not only is it effective in its aims to moisturize and boost radiance, but I really appreciate how thoughtful Kiehl's was in creating this product.  From the beautiful color and quality of the packaging, to the soothing scent everything about it is spot on for a nighttime ritual I look forward to at the end of my day.  What nighttime rituals do you look forward to?

Till Next Time,
Stephanie 




2 comments:

  1. I am looking for a new nighttime product and this sounds great! I just ran out of a restoring night cream, but it didn't seem moisturizing enough for winter anyway. I will be on the hunt for this Kiehl's oil.

    I am also loving the blog! I realize now I haven't had anyone to talk beauty products with in years and I am waaaaay behind the times. What are your thoughts on eyebrows?

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Chels! I am glad you are liking it! I never gave much thought to eyebrows but I gave it a try to do them and it does make a big difference! If you have the time in the morning I like to use the anastasia brow wiz pencil because it has a nice small tip and comes in really natural colors, and if you want something to give a bit of definition but is quick I like the benefit gimme brow gel which has a nice small wand and again natural colors. Let me know if you give it a try, and how you like the midnight recovery concentrate, I know you will definitely appreciate the packaging to, it's so cool!

    ReplyDelete